lundi 27 juin 2016

How was your weekend running?

Running as catharsis and as part of a wider, inclusive group of running communities can only help in bad times. How was your weekend running, and did it bring PBs and some much-needed endorphins?

Two of the most important things about running for me are its quality of catharsis - a good run can usually make even grim things seem better - and it’s supportive, inclusive and kind communities. Not one community, but many - whether it’s this wonderful group of individuals below the line, a running club, an online forum, or the nervous and jokey chat at the start line of a race. Thank god for the running communities over the last few days, then.

On Sunday, after not very much sleep and some runs that - for once - did not make me feel any better - I lined up for the Harry Hawkes 10 for the first time. Having finally felt like I was coming back into form, I wanted to properly race it, but was nervous that negative thoughts and a general atmosphere of doom might not help my head. So I took a leaf out of Asta’s book, and ran it “blind”. Oh well, ok, not quite: I put a strip of gaffer tape over my Garmin, turned in on at the start but didn’t peek until after I’d finished. This allowed me to judge, post-race, whether the patches that felt hardest really had been.

Continue reading...

from Fitness | The Guardian http://ift.tt/28XK2Cs
via FITNESS

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire