mercredi 3 juin 2015

I don’t think I’m doing enough for my children and I feel I’m failing them | Mariella Frostrup

A mother who feels like a failure doesn’t know where to turn. Mariella Frostrup says she is not alone: motherhood is not always easy, and help is at hand
If you have a dilemma, send a brief email to mariella.frostrup@observer.co.uk

The dilemma I’m writing this in tears. Every day I try my hardest to do my best by my three children and every evening I feel I have failed them and end up riddled with guilt. I have three young children all with different educational and emotional needs and I’m struggling to meet them all. I try my best to divvy up my time equally, but I do worry that my youngest – who is very dominating – ends up demanding more of my time and can’t help thinking my middle child is missing out, especially since her anxiety is through the roof at the moment. I’m worried senseless that I’m doing some lasting emotional damage to my children and try to lavish them with love and attention to make up for my other shortfallings. Ultimately I just feel like a failure and don’t know where to turn.

Mariella replies I’m so glad you wrote. And I’m sure I won’t be alone in thanking you for articulating how many of us end up feeling on a bad day. Welcome to motherhood and, so that my male readers don’t feel rejected, let’s simply call it parenting. Nonetheless I don’t think the majority of them will recognise your condition. You don’t mention a partner. It could be that he’s not around at all or he’s one of the many millions of men who are hands-on with the part-time and therefore more enjoyable bits and find it hard to comprehend the downside of parenting.

Continue reading...









from Health & wellbeing | The Guardian http://ift.tt/1M4nlXA
via health

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire