dimanche 1 mai 2016

How was your weekend running?

Ever been chased down by a driver in a race? Sounds like the stuff of nightmares but it’s what awaits participants in the Wings for Life World Run. As always, share your weekend woes and triumphs below the line.

It feels a bit like cheating, but in the interests of full disclosure, I’m this before the weekend. On Saturday I’m off to Japan, for a holiday and to do the Wings for Life World Run. That being the case, I’m tempted to invent a fantasy weekend of running. 5k PB at parkrun on Saturday, 10km PB on Sunday, recovery run Sunday evening sound good? Oh ok then, I’ll be squeezing in a quick track session on Saturday morning before sitting on a plane for 12 hours and trying not to go out of my mind with boredom.

Instead, then, a brief explainer of the Wings for Life run, which doesn’t seem very well known but which I cannot recommend highly enough. The basic principle is that everyone starts at the same time at the locations around the world, regardless of time zone. A catcher car starts half an hour later, and very gradually speeds up. You are ‘out’ when the car passes you. The result is that unlike in most races, the fastest people actually run the longest. When you are ‘caught’ you head back to the HQ to watch the action unfold on a big screen. It’s unlike any other race I’ve done and the fact that the Japanese edition takes place in the dark in, for me, totally unfamiliar terrain, should make it even more surreal than my experience last year. Full report to follow next Monday.

Continue reading...

from Health & wellbeing | The Guardian http://ift.tt/1WBGl72
via health

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire