vendredi 31 juillet 2015

Does my friend steal other women’s men because she was raped?

She tried to seduce someone I liked. Despite everything, I want to help her but don’t know how. Annalisa Barbieri advises a reader

I have a friend at university who is notorious for being a “man-stealer”. She is very manipulative and inappropriately flirtatious and most of the women I know dislike her because of this. I am patient with her because I am aware of her history. As a teenager, she was raped by several men at a party, and obviously this has had a profound effect. When she makes a beeline for someone I have said I am interested in, I know this is her way of feeling powerful and in control, something she must have lost when she was assaulted.

While I understand the reasons for her power play, I can tolerate it for only so long. I have adopted strategies to avoid getting hurt, such as not telling her when I am interested in a person, or not inviting her to events where that person might be, but this makes me uncomfortable. I know it is not a proper solution and if she realises I am being secretive it will only increase her insecurity and worsen her behaviour.

Continue reading...











from Health & wellbeing | The Guardian http://ift.tt/1Uc9mnn
via health

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire