samedi 30 janvier 2016

I’m unhappy with my wife of 30 years. Should I leave? | Mariella Frostrup

A man who’s thinking of divorce hesitates because of the children. Mariella Frostrup suggests thinking about how a marriage can evolve and adapt

The dilemma I am a 50- something well-educated man, married for nearly 30 years, with two children at university. For the past 15 years I have been unhappy in my relationship with my wife. There has been a constant difference of philosophy in bringing up the children: adventure versus cotton wool, exploration versus stay at home, achievement versus comfort zone, confidence versus reliance. Recently I was subjected to a long rant (not the first) in which she said I should drop my job, which includes lots of travelling, sometimes for long periods. It ended with a “me or your job” ultimatum. I have stayed this long for the kids. I would leave, but I am worried about the effect on their lives.

Mariella replies I’m not a stick-together-at-all-costs sort of person, but I don’t often advise the opposite either. Thirty years of marriage and two grown kids is quite a feat and agreeing on how to raise them is now a redundant argument, as your opportunities for influencing them slowly dissipate. That doesn’t mean that you don’t have the right, the reasons and the impetus to get the hell out.

Continue reading...











from Health & wellbeing | The Guardian http://ift.tt/1VyBf99
via health

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire