vendredi 26 février 2016

I have a good male friend, but struggle when he overrules me and shouts me down

I live alone and speak to him most days. I sometimes wish I could distance myself, but he is terminally ill and lonely

I am a single woman living alone. I have an older male friend, something of a father figure, whom I talk to almost every day. He was diagnosed with cancer some years ago. Although the friendship is strong, we have one major sticking point: he tells me how to fix my problems, overrules me if he doesn’t agree with my views and has badgered me into doing things that I later deeply regretted. I often come away feeling destroyed. The things I discuss get hijacked by him, or he takes what I say the wrong way and when I try to explain, he shouts me down. I am very fond of him, but sometimes wish I could distance myself. I feel trapped into maintaining the status quo because of his terminal illness and his loneliness. Any advice please?

When leaving a message on this page, please be sensitive to the fact that you are responding to a real person in the grip of a real-life dilemma, who wrote to Private Lives asking for help, and may well view your comments here. Please consider especially how your words or the tone of your message could be perceived by someone in this situation, and be aware that comments that appear to be disruptive or disrespectful to the individual concerned will be removed.

Continue reading...











from Health & wellbeing | The Guardian http://ift.tt/1oMoYUK
via health

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire